Saturday, December 18, 2010

Reflection EDUC-6714I-3

As a result of this course, I have been reminded of the importance of using technology. Prior to this course I used technology in my classroom as a way of introducing a lesson. I plan to immediately change this in my classroom practice. In addition to using technology as an introduction to the lesson, I will use technology as a way for students to connect with the content. Also, I plan to use technology as a form of assessment to meet the needs of all of my students.


I found that my biggest area to strengthen when it comes to incorporating technology is through assessment. In week one, we learned many strategies in using technology as a form of assessment. I feel that I use technology to teach my lessons, however I do not use it enough when assessing my students. In the article Technology Based Classroom Assessments, “recognizing that technology is transforming many aspects of teaching and learning, and offering innovative and motivating ways to document student learning” is something that I want to make sure that I realize (Salend, S., 2009, p. 49). When using technology as an assessment tool, I am able to give students immediate feedback on their work, which is beneficial for the students. I have a Promethean Board in my classroom, which is used daily as a teaching tool. I just received ActivExpressions, and I think these will provide me with the tools I need in order to effectively assess students through technology. I would have my students use the ActivExpressions to answer the questions. By doing this I will know exactly what students answered correctly and those that did not. This would also be a way for students to get immediate feedback on their work. I like this way of assessing students, because this requires all students to answer. Those students that would not typically answer a question out loud or raise their hand to answer must answer. It is important to know all students and their understanding of the content. This is a great way to do that.

When reflecting on this course and how I can apply it to my current classroom, assessment is definitely what comes to mind. I think by immediately changing my assessment strategies, I will be able to better meet the needs of all of my students. “As a classroom teacher, you are faced with a tremendous challenge when trying to meet the needs of all your students”; the most important thing is how you react to that challenge (Bray, Brown, & Green, 2004, p. 30).

References

Bray, M., Brown, A., & Green, T. (2004). Technology and the diverse learner: A guide to classroom practice. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.

Salend, S. (2009). Technology-based classroom assessments. Teaching Exceptional

Children, 41(6), 48–58. Retrieved from Academic Search Premier database.


Linzie

No comments:

Post a Comment