Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Social Learning and Technology

According to Dr. Orey, social constructionism is when students are constructing or building something while conversing with others (Laureate, 2009). Vygotsky had two key points to this, zone of proximal development and more knowledgeable others. The zone of proximal development is what the child is able to learn, and more knowledgeable others are the support the child needs whether it be from a teacher, peer, or parent. By teaching or helping with another student, they are showing what they know.

“Technology can play a unique and vital role in cooperative learning by facilitating group collaboration, providing structure for group tasks, and allowing members of groups to communicate even if they are not working face to face” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn & Maleonoski, 2007). Today there are endless technology resources to aid in students’ learning. When students are actively engaged they are creating meaning and learning. Students now have the opportunity to participate in a blog, wiki site, social networking, etc. These resources create lifelong learners.

References

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Constructionist and Constructivist Learning Theories. Baltimore: Dr .Michael Orey.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Linzie,
    Creating lifelong learners is so important. Using technology can really help to engage students in their learning. Have you ever used any social networking sites with your students? I do not think I would ever use them with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott,

    I have not used any social networking sites with my students. I want to make sure that when we use technology they are using something that can also be monitored by their parents. I teach fourth grade and I feel that my students should not be using these sites quite yet. Mostly because they are unsure how to use them correctly. I know some of the students have said that they have a myspace page or a facebook page, but they lie about their age. I do not want my students to think that being untruthful is ok.

    Linzie

    ReplyDelete